First of all, YOU SHOULD DRINK PLENTY OF WATER & COCONUT WATER FOR ELECTROLYTES IN THE SUMMER. Proper hydration is essential for barefoot health. BOTTLED WATER isn’t. It’s a DEADLY lie sold by mega corporations. Bottled water is harmful to your health, the planet, and your wallet.
Here are FIVE REASONS TO DITCH BOTTLED WATER
- Plastic bottled water contains a harmful chemical, BPA. Studies suggest that BPA mimics hormones. Exposure to BPA can cause a wide variety of health issues. Journal of the American Medical Association. The cross-sectional study of almost 1,500 people assessed exposure to bisphenol A by looking at levels of the chemical in urine. The authors found that higher bisphenol A levels were significantly associated with heart disease, and diabetes.
- Plastic waste from bottled water is killing the ocean and our planet. Trashed plastic fills the ocean with a toxic soup. The Great Pacific Garbage Patch, also described as the Pacific Trash Vortex is patch of poisonous ocean. The chemicals are deadly to fish and worst of all, jellyfish ingest the soup and carry to toxins to other parts of the sea.
- Plastic wastes our nation’s stupid supply of nasty planet murdering oil. Plastic for bottled water takes the equivalent of about 17.6 million barrels of oil. That’s WITHOUT transportation–the oil waste is exclusively from making the bottles themselves.
- It’s a waste of money. The price of bottled water is usually at least triple the cost of tap water. But isn’t it better quality? Read on.
- Most bottled water comes from public water sources. It’s really just filtered TAP WATER and there aren’t any regulations on its safety. Contrary to popular belief, bottle water is NOT safer than American tap water. Tap water is highly regulated, bottled water is not.
Alternative water containers for barefoot runners
- Stainless Steel Water Bottle
(safe sturdy, but weighty, the MOST practical, sensible alternative for the barefoot runner).
- Hippie Style Waterskin/ Bota Bag (Groovy, cool, very barefoot runner. But, it’s leather and they require constant care; also, they add a funky taste to the water and you have to clean then. Still better than plastic (if you use the traditional lining, NOT latex), plus they’re way more stylish.)
- Water Gourds (About as impractical as the bota bag. Same drawbacks and killer primitive style.)